Acquiring a Kentucky Certificate of Authority

Before a company can register for sales tax in Kentucky -- or before Zamp can register on their behalf -- it must first designate a registered agent with a physical address in the state, and then apply for a Certificate of Authority.

1) Designate a registered agent to represent your company

A registered agent receives official papers and legal documents on behalf of your company. The registered agent must have a physical address in Kentucky. Many business owners prefer to use a registered agent service rather than take on this role themselves; this is especially true of out of state businesses with out of state owners.

Searching for "kentucky registered agent" will return many registered agent services that will enable you to meet this requirement.

2) Receiving a Certificate of Formation/Authority

After designating a registered agent, Kentucky requires you to complete an application to receive a Certificate of Authority. Unfortunately, this process cannot be completed online. A copy of the form can be found on the KY SoS' website here. The document includes completion and submission instructions on the second page.

3) Provide the certificate to Zamp so we can register your company for KY sales tax

Once you've obtained the Certificate of Formation or Authority, send a PDF copy to We'll take it the rest of the way!

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.